Crossroads LARP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latex type weapons.

2 posters

Go down

Latex type weapons.   Empty Latex type weapons.

Post by Blinken01 Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:19 am

This turned into an argument last time so I wanted to post here so it can be a little more controlled.  

Personally I'm for latex weapons for both normal use and stabbing.  

The reason being is that I thought this was going to be a rp focused group.  If an encounter can be solved without me even taking out my sword, then I want to solve it that way.  

To me, fighting with them is similar to fighting with other swords and the like.  The only issue i can see is when the point is too pointy, something most if not all professional latex swords have covered because they know its an issue.  That said not all latex weapons are stab weapons to begin with.  

We've already nixed over head "man killer" chops and baseball swings for safety.  So I think based on those rules latex weapons are fine.  

This is a very slippery slope in that at what point is it for fun and what not and what point do you just give up and not play due to potential injuries.  I'd say that shield checking is more dangerous then most professional latex weapons as I had a friend need knee surgery after someone jumped him.  

I will say the argument for or against due to price or "I already have this sword" is invalid and please just don't.  Larp cost money so please be aware of that.  If something breaks or isn't allowed you need to fix it. So it would be similar here.  We can also have chapter weapons for people to barrow and use.

The "I already have a weapon" argument is also stupid.  Of you already have one, great you can keep it for your character and not use it during fights(if we axe them).  A great place is "feasts" or other social events to being them out and show them off.  Or you can have it on your belt but use another weapon to fight if you really want it on you.
Blinken01
Blinken01
Admin

Eikdahlgreen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Latex type weapons.   Empty Re: Latex type weapons.

Post by Eikdahlgreen Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:00 am

The reason for the distinction of stab legality distinction is mainly that too pointed of a tip can result in accidents and potentially put an eye out. Some can also break or have the core poke through. In order to prevent accidental injuries a reasonable compromise is to allow them but hold all weapons to the same stab legality requirements. So most premade latex style larp weapons aren't going to be stab legal due to having a diameter/width being less than 2" at the tip. That said, if you are able to find one that meets stab safety required that will be assessed on a per weapon basis.

Larp will never be 100% safe but we have to balance fun and immersion against safety concerns; regardless of the waivers. That is why we have certain rules on usage regardless of weapon construction. And I think imposing restrictions on stabbing with latex style weapons is a reasonable compromise.

It's also important to recall that despite myriad regulations and restrictions that carelessness and bad faith have made some larp groups that require boffer style weapons injury prone. Because construction regulations are no replacement for adequate enforcement and good faith.

Eikdahlgreen
Admin

Back to top Go down